According to Citrix’s Mobile Analytics Report, video plays a central role in internal corporate communications, marketing and revenue generation—as well as in the entertainment diet of most mobile customers. Both personal and business usage can occur at any time of day, any day of the week, in any setting.
Mobile data consumption continues to grow, driven in part by the rising popularity of video, as consumers rely on their mobile devices for everything from love and health to sports and gaming. Video optimization will play a key role for mobile operators in ensuring an acceptable user experience, especially for mobile data services. The key facts:
- Mobile subscribers now access more than double the amount of sports video content over mobile, from 21% in Q3 2014 to 50% in Q1 2015.
- All top five mobile games ranked by data volume contain video content, as compared to only two in 2014
- Fitness increases its dominance of mobile health apps, with 78% of mobile health app users using fitness apps, up from 39% in 2013.
- iPhone 6 Plus subscribers generate twice as much data volume as iPhone 6 subscribers – mobile data customers need to be aware of this impact on cost of associated mobile data plans
- Mobile dating apps are most popular at 6pm and consist primarily of images.
- A mobile data subscriber is typically engaged for 4.6 minutes at a time.
- TCP Optimization techniques improve the user experience by accelerating data services.
The always on, always available, rapid response experience demanded of apps by modern users requires a core understanding of flexible, adaptable networks and PaaS, something SmartIPX excels at within its Managed Services provision.