5G (5th generation mobile networks or 5th generation wireless systems) also known as Tactile Internet denotes the next major phase of mobile telecommunications standards beyond the current 4G/IMT-Advanced standards.
NGMN Alliance or Next Generation Mobile Networks Alliance defined 5G network requirements as:
- Data rates of several tens of Mb/s should be supported for tens of thousands of users.
- 1 gbit/s to be offered, simultaneously to tens of workers on the same office floor.
- Up to Several 100,000’s simultaneous connections to be supported for massive sensor deployments.
- Spectral efficiency should be significantly enhanced compared to 4G.
- Coverage should be improved
- Signalling efficiency enhanced.